Nominations & Elections Process
for the Beacon Board of Directors
Call for Nominations
The Beacon Governance Committee is seeking enthusiastic leaders to serve on the Board of Directors for a three-year term beginning January 2018 and ending December 2020. If you are interested in serving and meet the criteria, please click here for the Candidate Questionnaire. If you wish to nominate another member, please click here for the Nomination Questionnaire.
Our selection criteria are based on the criteria established in the bylaws, General Code of Conduct, and as guided by the Board of Directors. Those criteria include at least two years of active Beacon membership with the organization, involvement in Beacon subgroups and/or committee activities, demonstrated leadership within Beacon or other nonprofit organizations, the demonstrated ability to work well with other members of a leadership team and to meet the other skill sets suggested by the Beacon leadership.
The Governance Committee will review applications, interview candidates, and determine the list of nominees presented to the membership for election. The deadline for applications is Tuesday, October 10, 2017. The Committee will review applications and nominations and will conduct interviews with candidates between October 16 and October 23, 2017 to assess their skills, experiences, leadership qualities, and commitment to advance the work of the Beacon Board.
2017 Governance Committee
Greg Fegley, Chair
Maria Baseggio, Ex-officio
Members of the Board are elected by the members of Beacon by electronic ballot; the election will take place November 13-15, 2017. Those elected will serve a term of three years beginning January 2018 and ending December, 2020. The Beacon Board of Directors is comprised of 12 individuals whose terms are staggered to provide both continuity and fresh perspectives with each new term. Following completion of one three-year term, members are eligible for nomination to a second three-year term. Once elected, the Board selects its officers (Chair, Vice-Chair, Treasurer, and Secretary) for the year.
2017 Election Process Timeline
Call for Nominations Posted
Deadline for Applications & Nominations Submissions
Election by Members
Board Role and Responsibilities:
Members of the Board will:
Have the opportunity to work with peers and colleagues to establish the policies, vision, and goals for Beacon and help the association grow and thrive;
Provide insight and input to help Beacon members find value and achieve their professional and personal goals;
Monitor progress toward Beacon’s strategic goals and contribute to establishing and revising strategies as appropriate; and
Contribute to ensuring that the Board fulfills its corporate duties of care, loyalty, and obedience to the members and to Beacon in accordance with governing documents and policies.
The Board of Directors in 2018 will hold approximately six in-person meetings, tentatively scheduled for the fourth Monday of January, February, April, June, September and November from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m., and a December meeting immediately preceding the holiday social event. (A final schedule for Board meeting times and dates will be determined based on the best dates for the members selected.) The Board may also meet by conference call when business decisions require such phone meetings. In addition to the routine business meetings, Board members will have an orientation session to establish common understanding of key organizational matters and standards for operation and communication, as well as a meeting focused on the mission, vision, and strategic plan goals to ratify/suggest changes as appropriate. On average, directors can expect to spend 8 to 10 hours monthly on Board activities and preparation. Between meetings, members of the Board will:
- Receive, review, and evaluate documents intended to keep the Board apprised of organizational performance, events and activities, and issues that may require Board attention or oversight;
- Attend Beacon major events and activities and meetings of committees and subgroups as appropriate (generally at least one per month) to remain informed, represent Beacon, and carry out specific work as assigned;
- Serve as Board Liaison to a specific committee or subgroup;
- Seek out opportunities to gather information from members, staff, allied groups, media, etc., so that the Board’s decisions are informed by available knowledge/data/environmental factors relevant to its decisions;
- Volunteer/be willing to serve on committees, task forces or working groups, and/or as a member or Board liaison, to carry out the work of Beacon;
- Demonstrate the leadership qualities appropriate to Board membership by supporting decisions of the Board, being an enthusiastic representative of Beacon to internal and external audiences, and engaging in principled and robust dialogue to help the Board reach good decisions that will serve the Association and its members.
Apply Now or Nominate Someone!
If you meet the criteria, can fulfill the board role and responsibilities, and are interested in becoming a board member, please self-nominate by completing the Candidate Questionnaire. In addition to your self-nomination, two other Beacon members must nominate you.
To nominate another qualified Beacon member, complete the Nomination Questionnaire. You may nominate only one candidate. The candidate you nominate must complete the Beacon Candidate Questionnaire.
Follow the instructions on each questionnaire for submitting completed nominations.